Information Publication Scheme
Reforms to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 promote a pro-disclosure culture across government, and build a stronger foundation for greater openness and transparency in government.
A significant change is the introduction of a new Information Publication Scheme for Australian Government agencies. The scheme aims to transform the FOI framework from one that responds to individual requests for access to documents to one that requires agencies to take a proactive approach to publishing information. The scheme commenced on 1 May 2011.
The Information Publication Scheme:
- Requires Australian Government agencies to publish an information publication plan.
- Specifies categories of information that must be published.
- Provides a means for agencies to proactively publish other government information.
Information publication plan
ANSTO is required to publish a plan showing how it proposes to meet the requirements of the Information Publication Scheme. The plan must indicate:
- What information ANSTO proposes to publish
- How, and to whom, the agency proposes to publish the information
- How ANSTO otherwise proposes to comply with the scheme
What information is ANSTO required to publish?
ANSTO is required to publish the following information. In most instances, this information is already published on ANSTO’s website. This includes:
- Information Publication Plan
- Who we are: Organisation chart and Statutory appointments
- What we do: ANSTO’s functions and operational information
- Routinely requested information and disclosure log: Disclosure log
- Our reports and responses to Parliament: Annual reports
- Consultation arrangements for members of the public to comment on specific policy proposals
How will ANSTO publish information?
Access to information published in accordance with the FOI Act will be available on ANSTO’s website. ANSTO’s FOI Coordinator will be responsible for responding to requests, concerns or complaints about ANSTO information available to the public and updating the Information Publication Scheme.
Decisions on publication of information will be made on a case by case basis in consultation with the area responsible for that information.
How will ANSTO comply with the new FOI requirements?
ANSTO is committed to achieving the objectives and outcomes of the FOI Act by:
- Publishing, to the extent possible, information about who ANSTO is and what ANSTO does
- Publishing information that is routinely provided to Parliament
- Providing public access to information held by ANSTO through a formal FOI request process
- Publishing, to the extent possible, details of information provided under FOI requests, and the means for accessing such information