In order to conduct experiments you will need to:
- Obtain an ANSTO security pass
- Indicate all scientists who will participate in the experiment in the web portal database
- Follow online training and pass exam
- Follow onsite training on arrival
Please check the following details:
1. Security Information
If you do not have an ANSTO security pass, please contact the ANSTO User Office and request the initiation of the ANSTO security application process. Phone +61 2 9717 9111, or email the ANSTO User Office. Security clearances take a minimum of 6 weeks and up to 8 weeks for processing depending on the level of clearance required, although they can take longer. The ANSTO Security desk is open weekdays, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The provision of information requested, in a timely and accurate manner, assists in the processing of the application without unnecessary delays. Any documents that are not in English must have an official translation accompanying it.
2. Information for Overseas Visitors
Visit overseas visitors for more useful information
On arrival you will have to follow onsite induction training and sign a user agreement before you will get access to the neutron-guide hall.
4. Scientists participating in experiment
If you are the Principal Scientist you are requested to check that all scientists involved in your experiment have a security pass and have been declared at least 48 hours in advance. Failure to do so may result in refusal of entry for undeclared persons. Fill out the Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering visitor form for each member of your party.
5. Organising your samples and experimental needs
All samples and any other chemicals you are bringing must be added to your proposal via the Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering Customer Portal 6 weeks in advance. This allows time for an ANSTO approved MSDS to be created if none exists. Note that all chemical compounds being brought to the facility must have an MSDS.
Inquiries about the National Deuteration Facility should be directed to Dr. Peter Holden.
6. Travel and accommodation
- Researchers from an AINSE Member Institution requiring travel and accommodation support must submit a Travel Request form at least 4 weeks before their scheduled proposal date. Full information can be found at http://www.ansto.gov.au/ResearchHub/Bragg/Users/TravelSupportScheme/index.htm
- There is the Lucas Heights Motel on site and they can be contacted on +61 2 8525 4400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transport to ANSTO. Car Rental services are available at Sydney Airport you'll find the car rental desks located on the arrivals level at both terminals. See http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/To+and+From+Airport/Car+Rental/default.htm
- After hours and during weekends, users may request the use of the Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering pool car. Bookings are essential and will depend on availability.