Dr Anna Paradowska
Industrial Liaison Manager
Senior Research Scientist
Senior Research Scientist
Role at ANSTO
Dr Anna Paradowska's current role is to establish and lead the Industrial Liaison Office at the Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering (ACNS). Her role is to promote the use of the facilities of ACNS for applied industrial research and to manage technology transfer. Her goal is to support Australian and global industry through building long-term collaborations and partnerships with universities, other research organisations, and businesses.
Anna is also co-responsible for the KOWARI Strain Scanner. The main focus of her research activities are in residual-stress analysis using neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction with the goal of relating them to manufacturing procedures and integrity requirements for various types of engineering components. Additionally she has a strong interest in neutron in situ study of thermo-mechanical properties of engineering materials and engineering application of imaging diffraction techniques.
Before joining ANSTO, Dr Paradowska was working at ISIS at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK, where she was an Instrument Scientist on the materials and engineering beamline called ENGIN-X. Anna did her PhD at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Monash University, Australia. Her thesis research focused on the investigation of residual stress in welds using neutron and synchrotron diffraction. Before that she did her MSc degree at the Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland, where she specialized in Materials Technology and Monitoring Systems.
Anna has published a book on the residual stress measurements and has co-authored two book chapters, as well as over 150 peer-reviewed journals and conference papers.
For more information please follow the links below.
- PhD - Monash University, Clayton, Australia (2008)
- MSc - Wroclaw University of Technology – Wroclaw, Poland (2001)
- ARC Training Centre for Automated Manufacture of Advanced Composites (2016-2021) with UNSW, ANU and Technical University of Muniche (Germany) Advanced Composite Structures Australia Pty. Ltd., Australian Sports Commission, OMNI Tanker Holdings Pty Ltd.; FORD Motor Company of Australia; CARBONIX; FEI Company; Advanced Fibre Placement Technology; DST Group ($3.8mln from ARC)
- ARC Linkage (2016-2019) Development of modern technology to manufacture large-scale, wear-resistant component with RMIT and Weir Minerals ($330k from ARC)
- NSW TechVoucher for measurements and validation of K-Tig process, for commercial client Innovative Welding Pty. Ltd. ($25k)
- Joint Welded Structures Foundation (WSF) PWHT-WSF Grant-13-1-2015with University of Adelaide and University of Michigan (USA). Develop the rig for KOWARI instrument for in situ heat treatment of large scale components ($50k)
- Joint project with Energy Pipelines and University of Wollongong for Research Support Engineer 2014 ($50k) one year project focus on pipeline industry applications.
- ARC Linkage (2015-2018) Grant Development of functionally-graded materials for wheel-rail contact using laser cladding with Monash University, Hardchrome Engineering and WTIA ($163k from ARC)
- EP/G068305/1 -Stress and Creep Damage Evolution in Materials for Ultra-Supercritical Power Plants. Joint project with Open University and ISIS (2009-2013) (£134k from EPSRC)
Achievements and awards
- Highly Commanded in SEEA 2014 - “Kowari Team” recognized in Research and Development Category. Awarded by the Engineers Australia, Sydney NSW Division
- Visiting Research Fellow at UNSW (2011- current)
- Visiting Research Fellow at The Open University, Materials Engineering Department (2007-current)
- The Fylde Strain Best Paper Prize for 2012 Awarded by the British Society of Stress Measurements and the Strain Editorial Team, UK, (June 2013)
- Sir William Hudson Memorial Award - awarded by the Council, Technology and Research Board and the members of WTIA, Australia (2009)
- Winner of Student Paper Competition (PhD level) - awarded by the Senate of the Pressure Vessel and Piping Division at American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Pressure Vessel and Piping Conf., San Antonio, USA (2007)
- Distinction in the Prof. Jerzy I. Skowronski Memorial Award - awarded by the Polish Committee of Electrotechnical Materials and Polish Electricians Association, Poland (2001)
Membership of Professional Associations
- Vice-President of Women in Nuclear (WiN)(2015- current)
- Member of National Committee of Applied Mechanics (2012- current) - Engineers, Australia
- Member of Materials, Australia (CMatP)
- Member of the Welding Institute of Technology Australia (WTIA) actively involved in several SMART Industry Groups.
- Member the International Institute of Welding (IIW) serving as: Australian Delegate and Expert
- ANBUG Executive committee, Australia (2014-current)
- Proposal Evaluation Committee (PEC) and the Expert Panel (EP) of Comprehensive Research Organization for Science and Society (CROSS) at Japan Proton Accelerator Research Complex (J-Parc) (2013-current)
- ISIS Representative to the Engineering Facility Access Panel (FAP7), United Kingdom (2008 -2011)
Journal of Advances in Materials Science and Engineering (2014 - current)
Ren, Y; Paradowska, A; Eren, E and Wang, B, Challenges of Measuring Residual Stresses in Large Girth Welded Pipe Spools by Neutron Diffraction, Mat. Res. Proc. 2, 575-580 (2017).
M. Khan, A.Paradowska, B.Uy, F.R.Mashiri, Z.Tao, Residual Stresses in High Strength Steel Welded Box Sections, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 116 (2016) 55-64 (from Kowari)
Ahuja Y., Ibrahim R., Paradowska, A.M., Riley D., Friction stir forming to fabricate copper–tungsten composite, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, (2015) 217, 222-231
Paradowska, A.M., Shen C., Larkin N., Li H., Pan Z, Law M., Residual stress measurements of welds made with a Tandem Gas Metal Arc Welding (T-GMAW) weld technique, Powder Diffraction,(2014) 29 (S1) 24-27 (from KOWARI)
Knupfer S.M., Paradowska A.M., Kirstein O., Moore A.J., Characterization of the Residual Strains in Iterative Laser Forming, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 212 (2012) 90 99 (from KOWARI)
Ahmed, R., Faisal N.H., Reuben, R.L., Paradowska, A.M., Fitzpatrick M., Residual strain and fracture response of Al2O3 coatings deposited via APS and HVOF techniques, Journal Surface and Coatings Technology (2012) 21, 23-40
Baczmanski A., Joncour L.L., Panicaud B., Francois M., Braham C., Paradowska A.M., Wronski, S., Amara S., Chiron, R., Neutron time-of-flight diffraction used to study aged duplex steel at small and large deformation until damage, Journal of Applied Crystallography, 44, (2011). 966 982
Pierret S., Evans A., Paradowska A.M., Kaestner A., James J., Etter T., Van Swygenhoven H., Combining neutron diffraction and imaging for residual strain measurements in a single crystal turbine blade, NDT&E International 45 (2012) 39 45
Festa G., Senesi R., Alessandroni M., Andreani C., Vitali G., Porcinai S., Giusti A. M., Materna T., Paradowska A. M., Non destructive neutron diffraction measurements of cavities, inhomogeneities and residual strain in bronzes of Ghiberti's relief from the Gates of Paradise, Journal of Applied Physics, 109 (2011) 064908
Grazzi F., Bartoli L., Civita F., Franci R.,Paradowska A.M., Scherillo A., Zoppi M., From Koto age to modern times: Quantitative characterization of Japanese swords with Time of flight Neutron Diffraction, Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectroscopy, 26 (5)1030 (2011)
Paradowska, A.M., Price, J.W.H., Finlayson, T.R., Rogge, R.B., Donaberger, R.L., Blevins, R. Ibrahim, R., Comparison of Neutron Diffraction Residual Stress Measurements of Steel Butt Welds with Current Fitness-For-Purpose Assessments, Transaction of the ASME - Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol.132, 051503, 2010 Page 1-7
Paradowska A. M., Price J. W. H., Finlayson T. R., Lienert U., Walls P., Ibrahim R., Residual Stress Distribution in Steel Butt Welds Measured by Neutron and Synchrotron Diffraction, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. 21 12 (2009) 124213 1-8.
Lee S. Y., Choo, Liaw P. K., Oliver E. C., Paradowska A. M., Klarstrom D. L., In situ neutron-diffraction study of internal strain evolution around a crack tip under variable-amplitude fatigue-loading conditions, Scripta Materialia. 60, 10 (2009) 866-869