Dr Ulf Garbe
Role at ANSTO
Dr Ulf Garbe is instrument scientist for the new DINGO neutron radiography/tomography/imaging station at the OPAL Reactor. He received his PhD from the University of Goettingen as member of the texture group in collaboration with the Technical University of Clausthal and the HASYLAB synchrotron. He worked on texture development in streaming two-phase media. In addition they developed a new measurement technique, the moving detector method for high-resolution texture measurement.
After his PhD he moved from synchrotron radiation to neutron radiation at the new FRM II reactor in Munich. Ulf was responsible for the texture application on the STRESS-SPEC diffractometer. He developed the non-destructive local texture measurement method with neutron radiation.
Qualifications & Achievements
- Beamline scientist at STRESS-SPEC at the FRM II reactor in Munich (2005-2007)
- Responsible for the texture application on STRESS-SPEC
- Software development for pole-figure reconstruction from area-detector diffraction data
- Initiate a BMBF project to install a robotic system for sample manipulation
- PhD in Geoscience, HASYLAB at DESY Hamburg and University Goettingen (Germany)
- Responsible for the texture measurement with high-energy x-rays at BW5 at HASYLAB
U. Garbe, O. Kirstein, A. Studer, V. Luzin and K.-D. Liss, "Texture And Strain Experiments At OPAL", Materials Science Forum 638-642, 2823-2828 (2009). (1st paper from KOWARI)
K. Yan, K.-D. Liss, U. Garbe, J. Daniels, O. Kirstein, H. Li and R. Dippenaar, From Single Grains to Texture, Advanced Engineering Materials 11, 771-773 (2009). (from KOWARI, featured on the cover of Advanced Engineering Materials)
U. Garbe, New pole figure calculation software: 2DiffCalc, J. Appl. Crystallogr., 42, 730-733 (2009).
A. V. Druker, C. Sobrero, J. Malarria, U. Garbe, H. G. Brokmeier, and R. E. Bolmaro, Effect of texture heterogeneities on the shape memory properties of rolled Fe-Mn-Si SMA, Z. Kristallogr. Suppl., 30, 297-302 (2009).
K. D. Liss, U. Garbe, H. J. Li, T. Schambron, J. D. Almer, and K. Yan, In Situ Observation of Dynamic Recrystallization in the Bulk of Zirconium Alloy, Adv. Eng. Mater., 11(8), 637-640 (2009).