Prof Hendrik "Henk" Heijnis
He is the leader of environmental research within the Nuclear Science and Technology cluster at ANSTO.
As a Senior Principal Research Scientist, Henk is participating in several projects applying nuclear techniques to better understand climate changes of the past.
- Environmental Radioactivity
- Quaternary Geology
- Quaternary Dating Techniques
- Low Level Radiochemistry
- Project Management.
- Late 2008 Henk was awarded an honorary fellowship by the Australian Institute for Nuclear Science and Engineering for his services to the Institute in the area of education and research.
- Henk was a board member of the Federation of Australian Science and Technology Societies (now Science and Technology Australia) from 2008 until 2011.
- Henk was appointed Adjunct Professor of Quaternary Science at the University of Technology Sydney (2002 - 2008)
- He is a Past President of the Australasian Quaternary Association (2003-2009)
- He was President of the South Pacific Environmental Radioactivity Association (2012-2014)
- He is currently an Adjunct Professor in the School of Culture, History and Language, ANU College of Asia and the Pacific at the Australian National University.
- He was appointed a Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences visiting Professor in 2011. This program gives outstanding scientific researchers working outside the Netherlands the opportunity to make significant contributions to research in the Netherlands.
PhD, Isotope Physics
Groningen, Netherlands (1988-1992)
VU University Amsterdam
BSc & Masters in Physical Geography
Amsterdam, Netherlands (1981-1988)
- Bas van Geel, Henk Heijnis, Dan J. Charman, Gareth Thompson, Stefan Engels: Bog burst in the eastern Netherlands triggered by the 2.8 kyr BP climate event. The Holocene 08/2014; 24((11)):1465-1477. DOI:10.1177/0959683614544066
- Martijn Woltering, Pia Atahan, Kliti Grice, Henk Heijnis, Kathryn Taffs, John Dodson: Glacial and Holocene terrestrial temperature variability in subtropical east Australia as inferred from branched GDGT distributions in a sediment core from Lake McKenzie. Quaternary Research 07/2014; 82(1). DOI:10.1016/j.yqres.2014.02.005
- Michael-Shawn Fletcher, Brent B. Wolfe, Cathy Whitlock, David P. Pompeani, Hendrik Heijnis, Simon G. Haberle, Patricia S. Gadd, David M. J. S. Bowman, Henk Heijnis: The legacy of mid-Holocene fire on a Tasmanian montane landscape. Journal of Biogeography 01/2013; 41(3). DOI:10.1111/jbi.12229
- C. Chagué-Goff, J. Goff, S. L. Nichol, W. Dudley, A. Zawadzki, J. W. Bennett, S. D. Mooney, D. Fierro, H. Heijnis, D. Dominey-Howes, C. Courtney: Multi-proxy evidence for trans-Pacific tsunamis in the Hawai'ian Islands. Marine Geology 03/2012; s 299–302:77–89. DOI:10.1016/j.margeo.2011.12.010
- Craig R. Sloss, Brian G. Jones, Brendan P. Brooke, Henk Heijnis, Colin V. Murray-Wallace: Contrasting sedimentation rates in Lake Illawarra and St Georges Basin, two large barrier estuaries on the southeast coast of Australia. Journal of Paleolimnology 12/2011; 46(4):561-577. DOI:10.1007/s10933-011-9507-z
- Suzanne E. Hollins, Jennifer J. Harrison, Brian G. Jones, Atun Zawadzki, Henk Heijnis, Stuart Hankin: Reconstructing recent sedimentation in two urbanised coastal lagoons (NSW, Australia) using radioisotopes and geochemistry. Journal of Paleolimnology 12/2011; 46(4):579-596. DOI:10.1007/s10933-011-9555-4
- Simon Drew, Iona Flett, Joanne Wilson, Henk Heijnis, C. Gregory Skilbeck: The trophic history of Myall Lakes, New South Wales, Australia: interpretations using δ13C and δ15N of the sedimentary record. Hydrobiologia 08/2008; 608(1). DOI:10.1007/s10750-008-9383-3
- Kathryn H Taffs, Luc J Farago, Hendrick Heijnis, Geraldine E Jacobsen: A diatom-based Holocene record of human impact from a coastal environment: Tuckean Swamp, eastern Australia. Journal of Paleolimnology 01/2007; 39(1). DOI:10.1007/s10933-007-9096-z
- Krystyna M. Saunders, Andrew Mcminn, Donna Roberts, Dominic A. Hodgson, Henk Heijnis: Recent human‐induced salinity changes in Ramsar‐listed Orielton Lagoon, south‐east Tasmania, Australia: a new approach for coastal lagoon conservation and management. Aquatic Conservation Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 01/2007; 17(1):51 - 70. DOI:10.1002/aqc.732
- K. Rogers, N. Saintilan, H. Heijnis: Mangrove encroachment of salt marsh in Western Port Bay, Victoria: The role of sedimentation, subsidence, and sea level rise. Estuaries and Coasts 08/2005; 28(4):551-559. DOI:10.1007/BF02696066
- Andrew McMinn, Henk Heijnis, Aaron Murray, Gustaff Hallegraeff: Diatom and dinoflagellate assemblages of the Hawkesbury River, NSW, over the last two centuries: evidence for changes in hydrology. Alcheringa An Australasian Journal of Palaeontology 01/2004; 28(2):505-514. DOI:10.1080/03115510408619299
- Amie Irwin, Gustaaf M. Hallegraeff, Andrew McMinn, Jennifer Harrison, Henk Heijnis: Cyst and radionuclide evidence demonstrate historic Gymnodinium catenatum dinoflagellate populations in Manukau and Hokianga Harbours, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 03/2003; DOI:10.1016/S1568-9883(02)00084-7
- C Chagué-Goff, S.L Nichol, A.V Jenkinson, H Heijnis: Signatures of natural catastrophic events and anthropogenic impact in an estuarine environment, New Zealand. Marine Geology 07/2000; 167(3-4-167):285-301. DOI:10.1016/S0025-3227(00)00035-9
- C Matthai, GF Birch, A Jenkinson, H Heijnis: Sediment resuspension on the middle continental shelf adjacent to Sydney, Australia-evidence using 210Pb.
- A MCMINN, GM HALLEGRAEFF, P THOMSON, AV JENKINSON, H HEIJNIS: Cyst and radionucleotide evidence for the recent introduction of the toxic dinoflagellate Gymnodinium catenatum into Tasmanian waters. Marine Ecology Progress Series 01/1997; 161:165-172. DOI:10.3354/meps161165
- C.D. Woodroffe, C.V. Murray-Wallace, E.A. Bryant, B. Brooke, H. Heijnis, D.M. Price: Late Quaternary sea-level highstands in the Tasman Sea: evidence from Lord Howe Island. Marine Geology 06/1995; DOI:10.1016/0025-3227(95)00028-W
- A MCMINN, H HEIJNIS, D HODGSON: MINIMAL EFFECTS OF UVB-RADIATION ON ANTARCTIC DIATOMS OVER THE PAST 20 YEARS. Nature 08/1994; 370(6490-6490):547-549. DOI:10.1038/370547a0
- H. Heijnis, G.W. Berger, D. Eisma: Accumulation rates of estuarine sediment in the dollard area: comparison of 210Pb and pollen influx methods. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 12/1987; 21(4):295-301. DOI:10.1016/0077-7579(87)90004-4
- Orson Van de Plassche, Sytse Altena, Sjoerd Bohncke, Michel Diederiks, Henk Heijnis, Eric Wassenaar: Genesis of the "Lillemer Ridge", Marais de Dol, France. Bulletin de l Association française pour l étude du quaternaire 01/1987; 24(2):69-72. DOI:10.3406/quate.1987.1834