Dr Anna Paradowska
Industrial Liaison Manager
Senior Research Scientist
Senior Research Scientist
Role at ANSTO
Dr Anna Paradowska current role is to establish and lead Industrial Liaison Office at the Bragg Institute. Her role is to promote the use of the Bragg Institute’s facilities for applied industrial research and to manage technology transfer. Her goal is to build long term collaboration and partnerships with universities, other research organisations, businesses and industries to support Australian and global industry.
Anna is also co-responsible for the KOWARI Strain Scanner. The main focus of her research activities are in residual-stress analysis using neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction with the goal of relating them to manufacturing procedures and integrity requirements for various types of engineering components. Additionally she has a strong interest in neutron in-situ study of thermo-mechanical properties of engineering materials and engineering application of imaging diffraction techniques.
Before joining the Bragg Institute Dr Paradowska was working at ISIS at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK. She was an Instrument Scientist on the materials and engineering beamline called ENGIN-X. Anna did her PhD at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Monash University, Australia. Her thesis research focused on the investigation of residual stress in welds using neutron and synchrotron diffraction. Before that she did her MSc degree at the Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland, where she specialized in Materials Technology and Monitoring Systems.
Anna has published a book on the residual stress measurements and has co-authored two book chapters, as well as published over 100 peer-reviewed journals and conference papers.
For more information please follow the links below.
- PhD - Monash University, Clayton, Australia (2008)
- MSc. - Wroclaw University of Technology – Wroclaw, Poland (2001)
Achievements and awards
- Joint Welded Structures Foundation (WSF) PWHT-WSF Grant-13-1-2015 with University of Adelaide and University of Michigan (USA) one year project on the economics of post weld heat treatment to remove residual stresses of welded structure
- Joint ARC Linkage Grant LP14010081 Development of functionally-graded materials for wheel-rail contact using laser cladding (2014-2017).
- Highly Commanded in SEEA 2014 - “Kowari Team” recognized in Research and Development Category. Awarded by the Engineers Australia, Sydney NSW Division
- Visiting Research Fellow at UNSW (2011- current)
- Visiting Research Fellow at The Open University, Materials Engineering Department (2007-current)
- The Fylde Strain Best Paper Prize for 2012 Awarded by the British Society of Stress Measurements and the Strain Editorial Team, UK, (June 2013)
- Sir William Hudson Memorial Award - awarded by the Council, Technology and Research Board and the members of WTIA, Australia (2009)
- Winner of Student Paper Competition (PhD level) - awarded by the Senate of the Pressure Vessel and Piping Division at American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Pressure Vessel and Piping Conf., San Antonio, USA (2007)
- Distinction in the Prof. Jerzy I. Skowronski Memorial Award - awarded by the Polish Committee of Electrotechnical Materials and Polish Electricians Association, Poland (2001)
Membership of Professional Associations
- Member of Women in Nuclear (WiN) Vice- President (2015- current)
- Member of Engineers, Australia (MIEAust): National Committee of Applied Mechanics and Women in Engineering Committee –Illawarra Region
- Member of Materials, Australia (CMatP)
- Member of the Welding Institute of Technology Australia (WTIA) actively involve in several SMART Industry Groups.
- Member the International Institute of Welding (IIW) serving as: Australian Delegate and Expert
- ANBUG Executive committee, Australia (2014-current)
- Proposal Evaluation Committee (PEC) and the Expert Panel (EP) of Comprehensive Research Organization for Science and Society (CROSS) at Japan Proton Accelerator Research Complex (J-Parc) (2013-current)
- ISIS Representative to the Engineering Facility Access Panel (FAP7), United Kingdom (2008 -2011)
2014-current Journal of Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
M. Khan, A.Paradowska, B.Uy, F.R.Mashiri, Z.Tao, Residual Stresses in High Strength Steel Welded Box Sections, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 116 (2016) 55-64 (from Kowari)
Ahuja Y., Ibrahim R., Paradowska, A.M., Riley D., Friction stir forming to fabricate copper–tungsten composite, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, (2015) 217, 222-231
Paradowska, A.M., Shen C., Larkin N., Li H., Pan Z, Law M., Residual stress measurements of welds made with a Tandem Gas Metal Arc Welding (T-GMAW) weld technique, Powder Diffraction,(2014) 29 (S1) 24-27 (from KOWARI)
Knupfer S.M., Paradowska A.M., Kirstein O., Moore A.J., Characterization of the Residual Strains in Iterative Laser Forming, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 212 (2012) 90 99 (from KOWARI)
Ahmed, R., Faisal N.H., Reuben, R.L., Paradowska, A.M., Fitzpatrick M., Residual strain and fracture response of Al2O3 coatings deposited via APS and HVOF techniques, Journal Surface and Coatings Technology (2012) 21, 23-40
Baczmanski A., Joncour L.L., Panicaud B., Francois M., Braham C., Paradowska A.M., Wronski, S., Amara S., Chiron, R., Neutron time-of-flight diffraction used to study aged duplex steel at small and large deformation until damage, Journal of Applied Crystallography, 44, (2011). 966 982
Pierret S., Evans A., Paradowska A.M., Kaestner A., James J., Etter T., Van Swygenhoven H., Combining neutron diffraction and imaging for residual strain measurements in a single crystal turbine blade, NDT&E International 45 (2012) 39 45
Festa G., Senesi R., Alessandroni M., Andreani C., Vitali G., Porcinai S., Giusti A. M., Materna T., Paradowska A. M., Non destructive neutron diffraction measurements of cavities, inhomogeneities and residual strain in bronzes of Ghiberti's relief from the Gates of Paradise, Journal of Applied Physics, 109 (2011) 064908
Grazzi F., Bartoli L., Civita F., Franci R.,Paradowska A.M., Scherillo A., Zoppi M., From Koto age to modern times: Quantitative characterization of Japanese swords with Time of flight Neutron Diffraction, Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectroscopy, 26 (5)1030 (2011)
Paradowska, A.M., Price, J.W.H., Finlayson, T.R., Rogge, R.B., Donaberger, R.L., Blevins, R. Ibrahim, R., Comparison of Neutron Diffraction Residual Stress Measurements of Steel Butt Welds with Current Fitness-For-Purpose Assessments, Transaction of the ASME - Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol.132, 051503, 2010 Page 1-7
Paradowska A. M., Price J. W. H., Finlayson T. R., Lienert U., Walls P., Ibrahim R., Residual Stress Distribution in Steel Butt Welds Measured by Neutron and Synchrotron Diffraction, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. 21 12 (2009) 124213 1-8.
Lee S. Y., Choo, Liaw P. K., Oliver E. C., Paradowska A. M., Klarstrom D. L., In situ neutron-diffraction study of internal strain evolution around a crack tip under variable-amplitude fatigue-loading conditions, Scripta Materialia. 60, 10 (2009) 866-869