Our science and technology industries need the inquisitive; the innovative; the ingenious to shape the best tomorrow for us and our planet. That's why we’re pleased to offer the Sir William Tyree Nuclear Scholarships.
Sir William Tyree Nuclear Scholarships – applications open now
Features of the program
$7,500 top-up stipend + more
Sir William Tyree Nuclear Scholarships - $7,500 stipend top-up (annual award, two per year)
Plus approved research, conference, travel and accommodation support to up $5,000 for one regional recipient.
* Note: This scheme is not an award of employment with ANSTO and therefore supports an existing salary
Guidance from an ANSTO supervisor
Our people are amongst our nation’s most talented researchers, scientists, engineers and nuclear experts. Everyday we work to respond to the growing nuclear science and technology needs of Australia and the world.
Access to landmark infrastructure and facilities
ANSTO is home to Australia’s most significant landmark and national infrastructure for research. With over $1.3b in research assets set across three campuses, it’s no wonder thousands of scientists from industry and academia benefit from gaining access to our state-of-the-art instruments every year.
Training and development
Scholarship recipients are supported with opportunities for training and development in areas such as:
- Business modelling
- Supply chain optimisation
- Funding and finance management
- Leadership skills
- Intellectual property protection
Am I eligible?
To qualify for the Sir William Tyree Nuclear Scholarships, you must:
- Be a PhD student or be undertaking a higher research qualification
- Be available to spend a minimum of 6 months researching an ANSTO facility
- Agree to commence from in the first half of 2021
- If you are an Australia or New Zealand student, be enrolled at a university that is an AINSE member
How to apply
A step by step guide
Identify your focus area
Your project should focus on one of the Sir William Tyree Scholarship Priority Focus Areas:
And align with least one of ANSTO’s strategic objectives:
- Putting our people first
- World leading research and technology outcomes
- Strategic management of landmark and national infrastructure
- Nuclear related expertise and advice
- Business and innovation
Select a suitable supervisor
Nominate an ANSTO supervisor that would be best placed to support your project. Click on the link below to view the list of ANSTO supervisors.
If you don’t yet have a contact at ANSTO, we can help facilitate this. Email us if you need help.Find an ANSTO supervisor
Your ANSTO supervisor will be the representative who submits your application.
Format and submit your application
Take a look out our application guide.
Projects will be assessed on:
- The impact and benefit to ANSTO in accordance with your Priority Focus Area
- Project quality, readiness and feasibility
Sir William Tyree Nuclear Scholarships – Applications close 5:00pm Sunday 28 February 2021
If you have any questions about your application, please contact the listed ANSTO staff member aligned with the relevant priority focus area.
If you have a general query please reach out to the Scholarships Manager, Mark Ashford.