The Australian Synchrotron is a source of powerful X-rays and infrared radiation that can be used for a wide range of scientific and technical purposes. Synchrotron X-rays are millions of times brighter than those produced by conventional X-ray machines in laboratories and hospitals.
Commercial Services at the Australian Synchrotron
Commercial services with the Australian Synchrotron customised experimental facilities in Melbourne provide an impressive array of non-destructive, high resolution, rapid, in-situ, real-time imaging and analysis techniques. These generate elemental, structural and chemical information from diverse sample types ranging from living cells to advanced materials, industrial components and mineral processes.
The unique properties of synchrotron light mean that experimental results are far superior in accuracy, clarity, specificity and timeliness to those obtained using conventional laboratory equipment.
Commercial access gives you:
- Fast data
- Confidentiality & IP protection
- Fast & guaranteed access
- Highly qualified & experienced staff
We have a variety of access modes to suit your needs
Sample can be mailed to us so you do not have to attend onsite
Work with staff Scientists on customised collaborative and long term projects
We can work with you through all steps of the measurement, from design to access to data analysis
Send the samples to us and you can run your own test remotely from your office
Equipment use only
Quick and easy access to the equipment if you prefer to run your own measurements
The Microscopy team offers mail-in, equipment use only, full-service and collaborative access modes. It is possible for some tests to run your own measurements remotely from your workplace.
Image credit: Rhiannon Boseley
The Imaging team offers mail-in, equipment use only, full-service and collaborative access modes.
Our capabilities include
- Radiography and computed tomography techniques.
- Phase-contrast (propagation based) x-ray imaging, two and three-dimensional imaging at high resolution, lower tissue doses than conventional x-ray methods.
- Applications requiring higher (sub-micron) spatial resolution and involving smaller samples (beam size up to 10 mm high × 64 mm wide).
The Scattering team offers mail-in, equipment use only, full-service and collaborative access modes.
Our capabilities include
- Proteins, polymers, & colloid solution scattering using an auto-loader setup and in-line size exclusion chromatography with coflow (SEC-SAXS)
- Transmission SAXS using multi-well plates to mount solid samples (in air or vacuum) and capillary mounts for samples in solution
- Grazing incidence small angle X-ray scattering (GISAXS)
- Anomalous small angle X-ray scattering (ASAXS)
- User provided sample mounts and in situ experimental setups
Are you a new client?
We can design the experiment and determine the technique for your scientific problem.