This free, interactive online webinar is part of a Teacher Professional Development course on "Water Science and Sustainability", supporting teachers to create a resource pack for a lesson with their own class.
Open to all Australian secondary science teachers, this course aims to create an online learning community where educators can share their lessons and provide feedback and support to other participants. This course is fully accessible online.
The course is online and has four parts:
- Pre-reading for teachers to read relevant information about current research in water science, including news articles, videos and profiles of the scientists participating in the introductory webinar. We ask teachers to use these resources to prepare some questions for Q&A session during the webinar.
- An introductory webinar (90 minutes), during which teachers will:
- Hear short presentations from a panel of experts about their research in water science and sustainability, followed by a Q&A session.
- Review curriculum content in secondary science subjects related to water science and sustainability.
- Learn about a new data set teaching resource about groundwater monitoring on Rottnest Island, suitable for Years 7-10, with extension activities for Earth and Environmental Science students.
- Reflect on how they might incorporate new knowledge and resources from the webinar in their own teaching.
- Lesson development: Teachers develop a resource pack for a 60-80 minute lesson about water science and sustainability for a subject and year group of their choice.
- Feedback and reflection:
- Provide feedback on the lesson developed by another participating teacher, OR
- Deliver the lesson with your class and ask a peer at your school to provide you feedback.
Completing this course before 31 July 2021 under NESA’s interim arrangements will contribute 7 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of delivery and assessment of NSW curriculum addressing standard descriptors 2.1.2, 2.3.2, 3.3.2 and 3.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining proficient teacher accreditation in NSW.
This course is also registered PD with the ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI).
Teachers from other states and territories will receive a certificate of completion for their own PD portfolios.
For enquiries, please call the ANSTO Discovery Centre on (02) 9717 3090 or email email@example.com
*Please note that the time listed for the webinar is 4:00pm-5:30pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). Don't forget to join the webinar at the correct time for your local time zone.
**Further details on pre-reading material and webinar link will be sent closer to the date of the event.