Role at ANSTO
Dr Guochu Deng is an instrument scientist for the cold-neutron triple-axis spectrometer Sika and the thermal-neutron triple-axis spectrometer Taipan. He assists visiting researchers and collaborates with scientists on both Sika and Taipan under the supports from the sample environment team at ACNS. He also works as a team with other scientists on these two instruments to keep improving and upgrading the two triple-axis spectrometers at ACNS in order to extend their capabilities to reach the international high standard and fulfil the requirements from the user community.
His expertise includes a variety of scientific domains, such as low-dimensional magnetism, ferroelectrics, multiferroics, magnetoelectric materials, and instrumentation of neutron spectrometers. Most of his scientific interests are related to understand the underlying mechanism of exotic phenomena in condensed matters/materials. Prior to joining Bragg Institute (now ACNS), he worked as post-doctoral scientists in the Materials Science and Engineering Department of Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) and Paul Scherrer Institute, which are two top institutes in Switzerland. During his stay in Paul Scherrer Institute, he developed his skills in neutron scattering, which was his major focus in the last 15 years. After joining ANSTO, he participated the construction, cold commissioning, and hot commissioning of the cold-neutron triple-axis spectrometer Sika from 2011 to 2016. Sika finally achieved its operational license and opened for users in the middle of 2016. Great efforts from him and his colleagues as a team made Sika a high-flux low-background triple-axis spectrometer, which is currently providing wonderful services to international and domestic users.
Inelastic Neutron Scattering, Low-dimensional magnetism, multiferroics, magnetoelectric materials, spin dynamics, lattice dynamics, instrumentation of neutron spectrometers, instrument resolution calculation of inelastic neutron spectrometers, Python scientific programming
- Invited Speaker of HZB-ANSTO Neutron School (2022)
- Facility Session Organizer of AINSE Winter School (2021)
- Bragg Institute Prize for Excellence, ANSTO (2013)
- Post-Doctoral position held at Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland (2009-2011)
- EPFL Special Staff Prize (2007)
- Post-Doctoral position held at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland (2006-2009)
- Humboldt Research Fellowship, Germany (2007)
- Selected Representative from China to Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings, Germany (2006)
- DongSheng Yan Academician Prize, Chinese Academy of Science (2006)
- PhD in Materials Physics and Chemistry from Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Science (2006)