Role at ANSTO
Prof Anna Paradowska current role is to establish and lead the Industrial Liaison Office at the Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering. Her role is to promote the use of the Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering facilities for applied industrial research and to manage technology transfer. Her goal is to build long term collaboration and partnerships with universities, other research organisations, businesses and industries to support Australian and global industry.
Anna is also co-responsible for the KOWARI Strain Scanner. The main focus of her research activities is in residual-stress analysis using neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction with the goal of relating them to manufacturing procedures and integrity requirements for various types of engineering components. Additionally she has a strong interest in neutron in-situ study of thermo-mechanical properties of engineering materials and engineering application of imaging diffraction techniques.
Before joining the former Bragg Institute Prof Paradowska was working at ISIS at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK. She was an Instrument Scientist on the materials and engineering beamline called ENGIN-X. Anna did her PhD at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Monash University, Australia. Her thesis research focused on the investigation of residual stress in welds using neutron and synchrotron diffraction. Before that, she did her MSc degree at the Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland, where she specialized in Materials Technology and Monitoring Systems.
Anna has published a book on the residual stress measurements and has co-authored two book chapters, as well as published over 100 peer-reviewed journals and conference papers.
- PhD - Monash University, Clayton, Australia (2008)
- MSc. - Wroclaw University of Technology – Wroclaw, Poland (2001)
Achievements and awards
- Joint Welded Structures Foundation (WSF) PWHT-WSF Grant-13-1-2015 with the University of Adelaide and University of Michigan (USA) one year project on the economics of post weld heat treatment to remove residual stresses of welded structure
- Joint ARC Linkage Grant LP14010081 Development of functionally-graded materials for wheel-rail contact using laser cladding (2014-2017).
- Highly Commanded in SEEA 2014 - “Kowari Team” recognized in Research and Development Category. Awarded by the Engineers Australia, Sydney NSW Division
- Visiting Research Fellow at UNSW (2011- current)
- Visiting Research Fellow at The Open University, Materials Engineering Department (2007-current)
- The Fylde Strain Best Paper Prize for 2012 Awarded by the British Society of Stress Measurements and the Strain Editorial Team, UK, (June 2013)
- Sir William Hudson Memorial Award - awarded by the Council, Technology and Research Board and the members of WTIA, Australia (2009)
- Winner of Student Paper Competition (PhD level) - awarded by the Senate of the Pressure Vessel and Piping Division at American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Pressure Vessel and Piping Conf., San Antonio, USA (2007)
- Distinction in the Prof. Jerzy I. Skowronski Memorial Award - awarded by the Polish Committee of Electrotechnical Materials and Polish Electricians Association, Poland (2001)
Membership of Professional Associations
- Member of Women in Nuclear (WiN) Vice- President (2015- current)
- Member of Engineers, Australia (MIEAust): National Committee of Applied Mechanics and Women in Engineering Committee –Illawarra Region
- Member of Materials, Australia (CMatP)
- Member of the Welding Institute of Technology Australia (WTIA) actively involved in several SMART Industry Groups.
- Member the International Institute of Welding (IIW) serving as Australian Delegate and Expert
- ANBUG Executive committee, Australia (2014-current)
- Proposal Evaluation Committee (PEC) and the Expert Panel (EP) of Comprehensive Research Organization for Science and Society (CROSS) at Japan Proton Accelerator Research Complex (J-Parc) (2013-current)
- ISIS Representative to the Engineering Facility Access Panel (FAP7), United Kingdom (2008 -2011)
2014-current - Journal of Advances in Materials Science and Engineering