Role at ANSTO
Leader, Energy Materials Research Project
Neutron Instrument Scientist, Powder Diffraction (Wombat and Echidna instruments)
Honorary Professorial Fellow, Institute for Superconducting and Electronic Materials, University of Wollongong
- Expertise in understanding materials function by relating atomic-scale structure and dynamics to material properties.
- Structure/dynamics-property characterization using neutron and X-ray scattering including synchrotron/laboratory X-ray and neutron powder diffraction, Rietveld analysis, quasielastic neutron and inelastic scattering, as well as computational modelling methods.
- Condensed matter materials of interest include porous coordination framework materials, energy-industry relevant materials such as batteries, gas-separation and storage materials, and fuel-cells, as well as cement.
See Publications: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=hFtUb7AAAAAJ&hl=en
- Australian Neutron Beam Users Group neutron award for "Outstanding research in neutron science and leadership promoting the Australian neutron scattering community (> 10 years post PhD) (2019)
- Sandy Mathieson Medal for "Distinguished contributions to science involving X-ray, neutron, or electron diffraction and/or imaging" (2017)
- AIP NSW Young Tall Poppy Award (2013)
- Eureka People's Choice Awards Finalist (2011)
- Brunauer award from the Cements Division of the American Ceramic Society for best cement publication (2005)
- Young Scientist's Award at the International Conference on Neutron Scattering in Munich, Germany (2001)
Australian X-ray Analytical Association’s Bob Cheary Award for Excellence in Diffraction Analysis for “Significant long-term contributions to diffraction analysis” (2020)
Academic and Employment
- Senior Principal Research and Neutron Instrument Scientist, Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering (2018)
- Honorary Professorial Fellow, Institute for Superconducting & Electronic Materials, Uni. of Wollongong (2016)
- Principal Research and Neutron Instrument Scientist, Australian Centre for Neutron Scattering (2010)
- Neutron Instrument Scientist, The Bragg Institute, ANSTO (2007)
- Research Associate, School of Chemistry, The University of Sydney (2006)
- Research Associate, University of Maryland, working at the National Institute of Standards and Technology Center for Neutron Research, USA. (2004)
- Assistant Researcher, School of Chemistry, Materials, and Forensic Science, University of Technology, Sydney (2003)
- PhD (Awarded May 2004) UTS and Neutron Scattering Group, ANSTO. “Diffraction investigations of cement clinker and tricalcium silicate using Rietveld analysis”.
- Research Officer: UNASCO: Engineers in High Technology Polymers. (2000)
- B. App. Sc. (First Class Honours – Chemistry, 1999), University of Technology, Sydney. “Effect of zeolite addition on Cs+ and Sr2+ diffusivity through cement paste”.
- Honours Research, Materials Division and Accelerator groups, ANSTO. (1998)
- Research Officer, Advanced Materials, ANSTO: Sol-gel encapsulation of enzymes. (1997)
- Research Officer, Sustainable Technologies Australia: Titanate-based photovoltaic cells (1997)