This COVIDSafe Plan describes the actions that ANSTO will take to keep our staff, contractors and visitors safe and minimise the risk of the spread of COVID-19 infection.
This COVIDSafe Plan applies to all ANSTO NSW Campuses.
This document must be read in conjunction with the latest Australian Government and relevant state government advice.
The risk of COVID-19 infections has been controlled by community lock downs and isolation protocols, but it has not been eradicated. It will be important to continue operations in a COVIDSafe manner. ANSTO takes a risk based approach that uses the hierarchy of control and concurrent layers of control to minimise the risk to workers and others on our Campuses.
ANSTO has implemented Executive Oversight COVID Committees to monitor the emerging Government advice, community issues and the response actions to be taken by ANSTO. These Executive Committees are supported by ANSTO Subject Matter Experts and support functions.
ANSTO seeks reliable COVID related information from trusted sources such as the World Health Organisation, Australian Government Department of Health, Comcare, Safe Work Australia, NSW Department of Health and Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.
Wellbeing of People
- Persons that are unwell must not attend Campus. Workers have been provided with additional information to self-monitor for symptoms
- ANSTO has implemented the COVID online self-reporting tool for our staff
- Staff have assigned into work teams to minimise the risk of business impacts resulting from a confirmed exposure or actual case of COVID-19.
- ANSTO is leveraging technology to minimise the requirement to physically attend Campuses. Staff have been advised of appropriate working remotely arrangements.
- Vulnerable workers have been identified. Vulnerable workers will work remotely where reasonably practicable. If vulnerable workers must work on campus, a risk assessment must be completed to identify controls to minimise risk of infection to that vulnerable worker.
- Visitors and contractors are admitted to site on a risk informed basis.
- Collaborators and platform users are allowed onsite after risk assessment for their actions have been conducted. ANSTO provides a COVIDSafe induction prior to coming onto site.
- Visitors must make a declaration of wellbeing/ travel history prior to coming onsite by completing AF-5259 COVID Visitor and Emergency Pass Declaration Form
- Facilities with campus interdependencies may have implemented infrared thermal scanners for the detection of fever prior to entry as identified in their risk assessment.
- Staff travel has been minimised and should not occur unless absolutely necessary with regard to state border restrictions.
- COVID-19 Risk Management Course featured in the ANSTO Learning Management System
- Provide additional detailed COVID-19 information for staff via the ANSTO Intranet and ANSTO Work Health & Safety Management System
- Staff have been advised of appropriate personal leave arrangements
- ANSTO Employee Assistance/ Manager Assist Program is available for staff and immediate family
- The Lucas Heights Café has swipe in/ sign in requirements (ANSTO Clayton Café is not open to the public).
- Eliminate communal catering for meetings, training or other purposes. Arrange individual packs if catering is required.
- Signage in place across Campuses Conditions of entry available at Reception
- Each work team must complete a local risk assessment to describe their management of COVID risk of infection. Guidance is available in AG-7854 Managing the Risks of Return to Work Following COVID-19 Shutdowns.
Campus response arrangements have been detailed in the Occupational Health Management section of the ANSTO Work Health and Safety Management System. ANSTO will also follow advice provided by the relevant State Authorities in response to a positive COVID-19 infection.
- Workers comply with work team/ working remotely arrangements Minimise worker movements across Campus
- Conduct meetings via Skype for Business/ Zoom
- Face to Face Training minimised to business critical compliance training only, by approval. LMS E-Learns.
- All persons to maintain 1.5m physical distance from others (as much as possible) Workers are to not shake hands or exchange physical greetings
- Re-arrange furniture to encourage physical distancing
- Signage posting room occupancy limits (based on 1 person per 4m2) Minimise the number of workers in ANSTO vehicles at one time Monitor shuttle bus services and adjust services accordingly Minimise hot desking/ shared workstations or clean as below
Hygiene and Cleaning
- Increase the frequency of cleaning. Additional disinfection of surfaces
- ANSTO provides hand & hygiene sanitiser stations at building entries and other key locations
- Provide additional cleaning materials in common use areas such as meeting rooms, utilities rooms, kitchen/ tea rooms
- Ensure bathrooms are well stocked with hand soap and paper towels Signage and posters regarding handwashing and cough etiquette
- Where physical distancing cannot be maintained, or is required by State Health Authorities, provide face masks
- Stores provisions of additional COVID-19 supplies: hand sanitiser, face masks, gloves, tissues, surface wipes and other cleaning supplies.
- The ANSTO COVID-19 online self-reporting tool Internal ANSTO Intranet – COVID-19 pages ANSTO Website COVID-19 Updates
- ANSTO Work Health and Safety Management System Risk assessment and consultation
- Regular review and, if necessary, revision of risk assessments/ action plans.
- Security swipe access to contact trace movements of workers if confirmed COVID-19 case Recording of visitors/ Emergency Pass contractors via the visitors declaration form
- ANSTO supports the use of the Australian Government COVIDSafe app for all staff and visitors
- Incident reporting and notification to Comcare if required
- World Health Organisation – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Australian Government Department of Health – Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade - Smarttraveller NSW Government Department of Health COVID-19
- Victorian Department of Health and Human Affairs - Coronavirus Safe Work Australia Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advice for employers
- Australian Government. 2020. Office of the Australian Information Commissioner - Coronavirus (COVID-19): Understanding your privacy obligations to your staff
- ABC News: Coronacast