Talk to a scientist, perform an experiment or take a virtual tour by videoconference
Online depth studies
Participate in live radiation demonstrations, cover syllabus content and visit ANSTO virtually during our online depth study videoconferences for Year 11 Chemistry, Year 12 Physics and Year 12 Investigating Science.
Cost: $90 per class Duration: 80 minutes Book now
Year 11 Chemistry
- Investigate properties of different radioisotopes and learn about their uses in medicine, industry and environmental research.
- Consider the scientific method and gather data during a live radiation experiment.
- See some of Australia's largest scientific infrastructure, including the OPAL multipurpose reactor.
Year 12 Physics
- Participate in live demonstrations to review the properties of alpha, beta and gamma radiation.
- Learn about radioactive decay, half-life and methods of detecting radiation, including with a cloud chamber.
- Define and understand applications of fission, fusion, binding energy and mass defect, and investigate the structure and function of the OPAL multipurpose reactor.
- Investigate the role and operation of particle accelerators at ANSTO.
Year 12 Investigating Science
- Participate in live demonstrations of the properties of radiation, shielding and technologies used to detect radiation.
- Learn about the OPAL multipurpose reactor, the use of nuclear medicine and their impact on society.
- Discuss the public perception of nuclear science and the regulation of scientific research.
Junior Science (Year 9-10)
Students investigate the production of nuclear medicines in the OPAL multipurpose reactor, the use of nuclear medicines to diagnose and treat disease, and the science behind working safely with radiation.
This program is designed to address content and skill outcomes in the Year 9 and Year 10 Science Australian Curriculum and NSW syllabuses.
Cost: $90 per class Duration: 60 minutes Book now
Nuclear science inquiry skills
In this two-lesson plus homework program, your students plan and conduct an investigation first-hand. Give your students access to high-quality radioactive sources, instruments, and scientific expertise at ANSTO.
This program is designed to address content and skill outcomes in the Year 9, Year 10 and Senior Physics Australian Curriculum and NSW syllabuses.
Cost: Free Duration: 60 minutes Book now
Required resources for this videoconference
Suggested lesson sequence
|Lesson 1 (in-class)||Lesson 2 (videoconference)||Post-work/Homework|
As a class, students:
As a class, students:
Meet an expert
Choose from our list of research topics below and let your students lead a Q&A session with ANSTO experts.
Cost: Free Duration: 30 minutes Book now