Role at ANSTO
Micah Barnes is a research associate who works in a joint appointment between the Imaging and Medical Beamline (IMBL) at the Australian Synchrotron and the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. Micah has expertise in patient positioning and image guidance for radiotherapy treatments; he also has a strong mathematical, physics and computational background. Micah is responsible for developing pre-clinical image guidance and treatment delivery protocols on IMBL amongst other projects. Micah is also involved in researching and developing treatment protocols for Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Stereotactic Ablative Body Radiotherapy treatments at PeterMac.
Micah enjoys the challenge of solving multi-disciplinary problems and is always broadening his knowledge to facilitate creative problem-solving. Micah also enjoys living an active lifestyle outside of work. His favourite activities include hiking, rock climbing, playing drums and motorbike riding.
Patient positioning and image guidance for radiotherapy; teaching, training and communicating; mathematics, physics, and programming.
Qualifications & Achievements
- Master in Medical Physics at RMIT University (2018)
- Presented in international and local conferences (2016-2018)
- AMSI Physics Internship – Image Guidance for Micro-Beam Radiotherapy on IMBL (2017)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics and Communications) and Bachelor of Science (Physics) at RMIT University (2015)
- Research Scholarship (Engineering) – Microwave Frequency Selective Surfaces (2014)